Saturday 17 November 2012

Road We Travelled

Yesterday was one of the best days of my life.

It was as if as soon as I was fully away from the house, I was allowed to be happy. I really needed for this to happen, to be able to spend time with both the girls and the boys and to be calm and relaxed.

Time spent driving was fun enough. The silences weren't uncomfortable, the talks weren't awkward and the music didn't matter. The stop offs were so much fun. Photos, videos, food. The times that I hung back and watched the other crowd, I felt like I was watching one of those perfect moments in a film or TV show. It was sort of that cheesy, slow-mo, happy instrumental scene that made everyone feel good.

Despite the rain, I think the beach and the fish and chips were my favourite bit. I was told for the rain to stop before I got out. I nearly ran out. First one out, too. I was surprised when I would sink in the sand but it added to the whole atmosphere. Dreary and rainy and grey but it just made it that much better. My hood was barely big enough to shield half my head so I let it drop eventually. The closer we got to the ocean, the more solid the sand got under out feet. The rocky area was amazing. We went right near the edge and almost got hit by the waves that crashed on it. By then my hair was near drenched and my boots were covered in sand.

Sitting around the table, eating fish and chips made in three different ways and singing I'm Yours by Jason Mraz was another cheesy movie moment. Kind of reminded me of that very very end scene of Avengers where they eat swarma after the battle. We battled with winding roads, downpour, idiotic parked cars and broken nails.

I literally didn't want it to end.

Best, most interesting memories:

  • Ho's thongs
  • Migi's determined mission to stock up on instagram
  • Yong's new camera
  • Laura's cautious driving
  • Gary's psychotic driving
  • The twelve zodiac
  • The crab between rocks
  • Group photos
  • Matt leading
  • Paper wrapped chips
  • Matt's Rock Playlist (Red, Kutless, Paramore, Linkin Park)v
  • Taking photos of crashing waves on the edge of the straight cut rocks
  • I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
  • Yong believing we could touch the clouds, and me believing him

No comments: